Net Examples Help: Cannot find

Have specific questions about how to work with certain MemBrain features? Not sure about which checkbox in MemBrain has which effects? Want to know if a certain functionality is available in MemBrain or not?

Your questions will be appreciated here!
MrCreosote

Net Examples Help: Cannot find

Post by MrCreosote »

I open the .chm file in Firefox and it seems to imply that the content is located at some site which is no longer available.

Is this true? If Yes, where can I get the Help for the Advanced Example?

If No, how do I get the Help?

Thanks
Tom
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Net Examples Help: Cannot find

Post by Admin »

Hi,

I'm not quite sure if I get this one right:

I Assume you can download the file 'MemBrainExamples' from the MemBrain homepage, right?

You unzip this file and there you can see the file 'Examples.chm', right?

You double-click on that file and it should open in Microsoft HTML Help Viewer automatically.
I'm not quite sure what you mean with 'open the chm file in Firefox', what is Firefox supposed to do with this?

Sorry if I'm getting something wrong here...

Regards,
Thomas
Thomas Jetter
MrCreosote

Post by MrCreosote »

When I open the Examples.chm file in the Firefox Browser (also same result in Internet Explorer Browser), I get the Folder tree on the LHS and when I look into any folder, the RHS shows:

This program cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

To me this sounds like the Examples.chm file is trying to display contents which resides on the web - or as least did so.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Tom
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi Tom,

I still don't get the point:

Why are you trying to open it with Firefox? It is not a Firefox compatible file, it must be opened by Microsoft's help viewer application.

Have you tried to just double-click on the chm file in Windows Explorer? What happens then?
Windows should automatically select the correct app for it.

Regards,
Thomas
Thomas Jetter
MrCreosote

Post by MrCreosote »

Hi Thomas,

I tried again, both double clicking on Examples.chm from Explorer and also through Internet Explorer > Open File and got the same result.

However, the very first page that comes up in the Help window is:

Navigation to the webpage was canceled

What you can try:
Retype the address.

All other page contents are the previous blue text I copy and pasted in my previous reply.

I looked at Examples.chm and it is in binary but it contains a lot of information - a lot more than what appears to come up in the Help file reader.

I am wondering if Examples.chm attempts to connect to a web site for some administrative reason and when it cannot find the page or the anticipated content, it errors out of any further loading the Help file.

It is possible it works for you because you may have these pages on your local machine which it is finding instead of the internet site page.

I'm pretty much out of things to try with this one.

Regards,
Tom
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi Tom,

that's strange, I never heard about any problems with this file.

Anyway, I've created an html version of the help file for you, please find it attached.

Does that resolve the problem?

Regards,
Thomas
Attachments
ExamplesHtml.zip
Examples file in html format
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 1032 times
Thomas Jetter
MrCreosote

Post by MrCreosote »

Yes, that did it.

Worked in IE. FYI, did not work in FF. FF couldn't find the files the html used.

OK, so I can study those help files now.

Thanks
Tom
rdowning

Post by rdowning »

Thomas,
First, thanks for the excellent tool! Second, I'm having the same problem under FF. FF is configured as default browser, however, double-clicking on the chm file results in an unfulfilled request for an external web-page, not a local request within the compiled file... It's almost as though the hyperlinks remained to external targets?

Rob
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi Rob,

many thanks for the invaluable feedback, I now realize that I have to dig into this again!

Does the HTML workaround I posted currently work for you or is there an urgent need to resolve your problem? Also, if the HTML works in IE, does it also work in FF on your machine?

Many thanks and regards,
Thomas
Thomas Jetter