First let me attempt to define Geometric Order and Synchronization:
- Geometric Order (GO): This is the ordering of nodes based on their geometric location in the main window. Node GO is defined by the order in which nodes are encountered when the edit window grid is scanned in the way a paragraph is read: read the first row left to right, then the 2nd row left to right, etc. The order in which you encounter nodes is their GO. The uppermost and then leftmost node is always node # 1 in then list and the lowermost and then rightmost is the last node. If node B is just right of node A, then B follows A in the list.
- Synchronization: Lesson data columns are associated with the correct node. This is important when the Node GO does not match the CO (Column Order) in the Lesson
And now some questions but first a Ccomment:
COMMENT: I see 2 separate operations that pertain to this topic which are addressed in the documentation as a single, more complex operation. The 2 separate and actually independent operations I see are:
- Which Names are used if the GO and CO are the same? (Node or Lesson), and
- Matching each Lesson Column with the correct Node if GO and CO are NOT the same.
QUESTION: Interpretation of the Lesson Editor Input/Output Names and Pattern Data: Is it true that the Names represent the Nodal Names and NOT the Data Column Names? (NOTE: This almost has to be true to show that the correct data was matched with the correct node. Of course, it takes some effort to verify that the correct synchronization was achieved. SUGGESTION: A second row of Data Column Names would make this verification easy.)
QUESTION: Synchronize Lesson with Net > Names from Net: What does "When you click on the button <Names from Net> then the lesson will be automatically formatted according to the currently loaded net in MemBrain's main window." Does this mean:
- Fill the Lesson In/Out Names with the Node Names in GO
- then rearrange the Lesson Columns so that the Lesson Column Names match the Node Names?
- Given nodes in GO and given a Lesson,
- change the node names to match the Lesson names.
- if the GO and CO did not match and one needed reordering for synchronization, this method would NOT provide the correct action.
COMMENT: I believe the synchronization of Lesson with Node when GO does match CO (lesson Column Order) must be a feature and therefore must exist. If it is, it is a relatively simple operation. This connotes a simple explanation where a long and detailed solution actually makes understanding more difficult. I have found explanation by example is the clearest. There are actually only 4 possible synchronizations:
- GO and CO are matched, but use Node Names,
- GO and CO are matched, but use Lesson Names,
- GO and CO are NOT matched, use Names to rearrange CO to match GO, Use GO name sort,
- GO and CO are NOT matched, use Names to rearrange GO to match CO, Use CO name sort.
What I have found is that a critical problem with all platforms is verifying that you used the correct input data and program settings. Sometimes, mistakes here lead to new and great discoveries(!) Discovery by Chance is always welcome. (Of course, then there are the times when you realize you used the wrong control setting for the past 2 months.)
Thanks so much,